Sunday, December 2, 2007

a loose screw


Yesterday morning I was checking out Kieth LoBue's holiday sale page and saw that he was making post earrings out of phillips head screws. These are post earrings with either surgical steel or sterling silver. I don't do that well with posts in the first place and there was no way to specify which you wanted and I'm wildly allergic to the surgical steel. So, I'm thinking, I wonder if I could come up with a french wire version. I found some old screws in the stash of hardware and started to hack away at one. 2 saw blades and no progress later.... OK, gotta hit it with heat. The creme brule torch does the trick.Then how to hang it with wire so that the thing doesn't fall apart . I made the screw into a rivet of sorts And on and on, you get the idea. Next thing you know, hours have passed, I'm still in my jammies but I do have an earring. The piece has some technical and aesthetic issues, but I did make a wire version never the less. The point is, and really this is the point, doing stuff like this keeps a person in the moment now doesn't it? This is perhaps what keeps most of us making "art" really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

...and what a lovely photo!!