Friday, January 16, 2009

New Orleans


I am back from an all too brief trip to New Orleans. The weather was fab, even HOT!!! and of course the food really really good. The big biennial art show was interesting and some of it was quite delightful. Long story short, it was a great trip, I love New Orleans, and I will be going back there for sure.
One of the take home messages was TALK TO STRANGERS! No one passed on the street without greeting one another. At least a "good morning", and if you lingered even a second they would talk as long as you wanted. I found that to be really comforting somehow. I want to take that up as a habit, even in my own town. Here I am talking to a stranger...well actually it's a statue...

Here's Nancy talking to a stranger, well it's a statue too....

Now here's an actual stranger that we did talk to. His name is James May. He is a street musician and a pretty entertaining guy. He told us of his escape from the city, after Katrina, with his stuff in a boat. He left town in a truck with an "eccentric friend, his pit bull and pot bellied pig" wow. He sang us a song, "Do you know what it means, to miss New Orleans" oh yeah.

5 comments:

Vanessa Dearing said...

So, that's the secret to getting
people to listen - bronze!!! xo

Anonymous said...

NOw I won;t be the only one that turns around in a grocery line and "starts up..."

Anonymous said...

I challenge you to post even one, just one, decent pic of me...

sf said...

We do that with everyone - in the east they looked like we were gonna I don't know what, but we jist kept talkin'. I DID love that about NOLA. Did that one guy right you a song, on that one street??
I got a pot holder made from the water cover, but I refuse to use it and get it all gross. It's hanging art to me.
xxo

sf said...

I meant "write" clearly I have just returned from the dr. and am all out of it!