Sunday, May 4, 2008

another art show review


This week the gallery show night had to be brief as my art show partner had another engagement at 6PM, so we had to have laser like precision in our choices. First we zipped back to the Gold leaf to actually see the art. It was so crowded at the opening no one actually viewed the pieces.It was fun, including a little chat it up with one of the artists about her pieces. Of course her name got lost in the bowels of my sieve like mind. I was rather whiny that night.... I really wanted to see big expressive paintings, lots of color and emotion. This (photo above) was in the paper, and it looked like it might fit the bill. So off to the Vantana Fine Art gallery. This painting and several like it by John Axton were there, but to my surprise and disappointment these were about 5" X 7"!! sheesh. Nice enough, but they would have been way more fun on a huge canvas. Margaret theorizes that it's because people aren't parting with big canvas cash these days. The art in general was again nice enough, but nothing that really grabbed me. Tucked around a corner they were serving refreshments. Holy Buckets! Pay Dirt!!! Shrimp and coctail sauce, crustini with artichoke spread, procutto wrapped cheese, skewers of fresh veggies, plus wine and fizzy water. Now the art is looking much better to me...
Smartly I decided to deal with the refreshments in 2 stages. Food first, then go back for a drink. That way I have one hand free! Oh so clever... however, stupidly, I brought in my large but incredibly attractive purse. While standing and popping a large shrimp into my mouth, my purse goes swinging off my shoulder. Somehow just in the nick of time I saved myself from being the lifetime achievement winner of the BAD MARIE award for destruction in a retail establishment. My purse was headed straight for an expensive sculpture!!
I've now decided that the more attractive the purse, the more difficult it is to control. No more purse on friday night....

1 comment:

Lisa H said...

Oh, to be strolling (or "elbowing") through the crowds with you in Santa Fe on an Art Opening Friday Night.

I'm with you in spirit and when there in person, I'll even hold your attractive purse...