Tuesday, June 10, 2008

steel, oh yeah


OMG I discovered I can make black steel earrings with bailing wire. I was so happy to figure this out. I told my pal winslow, the blacksmith about it, and he said the technique I used was rather toxic... (I got it red hot and doused it in liver of sulphur)He went on into a rather lengthy explanation, something about ferrous metal, migration of carbon inside of molecules and lost me in a quick hurry. Kind of a buzz kill. He did say he'd show me a safer way which i'll share with you when I get it. Remember however, this is one of the men who DIDN'T say "oh let me run and get my drill" when my car was in obvious need of manly attention. Anyway, I did blacken steel and lived to tell about it. And dang if it isn't just the look I was going for....

3 comments:

Vanessa Dearing said...

LOVE these!!!!! You continue to amaze
me...Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Dude! Very cool. I need to know more: how did you form them so precisely? Isn't rebar tie-wire steel? Am I totally clueless?

Anonymous said...

Toxic to wear or toxic to make? These are really wonderful! How big are the hoops?